Ay Tjoe Christine
1973 Born in Bandung, Indonesia
1992 Completed Faculty of Art and Design (FSRDITB), Graphic Art, Bandung, Indonesia
The work has transformed the theological relations into interhuman relations, with all its banality, bitterness and tragic aspects. Tjoe’s artistic idea is an allegorical one, alluding to religiosity and even references to the religious texts that she has so far believed in and simultaneously reinterpreted. The impressions and images of destruction, frailty and collapse give rise to perceptions about tragic emotions that serve as the basis of her allegorical works. We can see lines that appear winding, fractured, or scrawny in places, going in all directions. Under the shadow of the nails, guillotine, strings, balls, and the type machine’s sharp arms, the work conjures a certain Eva Hessian atmosphere: a space between the absurd and the collapsed lives (Hendro Wiyanto).
- 2010 – Symmetrical Sanctuary, SIGIarts Gallery, Jakarta.
- 2010 – Lama Sabachthani Club, Lawangwangi Artpark Launching, Bandung, West Java.
- 2009 – Panorama without Distance, Hong Kong Art Fair, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre.
- 2009 – Eating Excess, Singapore Tyler Print Institute, Singapore.
- 2008 – Interiority of Hope, Emmitan CA Gallery, Surabaya, East Java.
- 2008 – Wall Prison (Part Two), Scope Miami Art Fair, Miami, Florida.
Selected Group exhibitions
- 2011 – Closing the Gap: Indonesian Art Today, Melbourne International Fine Art, Melbourne and Victoria, Australia.
- 2010 – Art Paris, Grand Palais, Champs Elysées, Paris.
- 2010 – Shanghai Contemporary 2010, Shanghai.
- 2009 – Bandung Art Now, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta.
- 2009 – Enam Pekan Perempuan, Galeri Salihara, Jakarta.
- 2009 – Awareness. Indonesian Art Today, Canvas International Art, Amsterdam.
- 2009 – Indonesia Contemporary Drawing, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta.
- 2008 – International Print Talk: From the Dark Background of Etchings, Ark Galerie, Jakarta.
- 2008 – CIGE 2008, China World Trade Centre, Beijing.
- 2008 – Expose #1. A Presentation of Indonesian Contemporary Art by Deutsche Bank & Nadi Gallery, Four Seasons Hotel, Jakarta.
- 2008 – Manifesto, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta.
- 2008 – E-motion, Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta.
- 2008– 180 x 180, One Gallery, Jakarta.
- 2008 – Hello Print!, Edwin’s Gallery, Jakarta.
- 2008 – A Decade of Dedication: Ten Years Revisited, Selasar Sunaryo Art Space, Bandung, West Java.
- 2008 – Shanghai Contemporary 2008, Shanghai.