Hoang Hai Anh
Hoang Hai Anh was born into an artistic family in 1970 in Hanoi, Vietnam. From 1994-1999, he studied at the prestigious Hanoi Fine Art college where he mastered his technique in Vietnamese lacquer and Western oil painting.
In the early 1990’s , a group of young painters calling themselves ” The group of Five ” was founded ; among them , Hong Viet Dung and Dang Xuan Hoa being the best – known member . Then came a group called “The Five Faces” and now another group called ” two plus three “, consisting of five young painters whose age are all around 30s. Along with Doan Hoang Lam and Le Anh Quan , Hoang Hai Anh is considered the leading figure of group
Hoang is a respected painter in the Vietnamese academic painting circles. His style has a raw intensity using art as a powerful expressive medium and his paintings are often not easy to be understood. They are reflection of real life and passions for which he desires. His vigorous strokes are compatible with his strongly contrast color tones.
Hoang’s first series of female nudes appeared in his 2000-2001 project. The secret the object conceals is tightly held by thick paint. Yet, the inside true self is exposed, tender to touch and almost painful to view. Like human character, his artistic expression is original, disturbing yet wonderful, bringing freshness and awareness to the Vietnamese art scene.
- 1995: Participated in student exhibition
- 1996: Participated in student exhibition
- 1997: Participated in Hanoi exhibition
- 1998: Group show in Hanoi
- 1999: First solo exhibition in Hanoi
- 1999: Vietnam ASEAN Fine Art Contemporary Group Exhibition
- 2000: Solo exhibition in Thailand
- 2001: Group show, “Three Young Artists”, in Hanoi
- 2005: “New Generation” Exhibition in Hanoi
- 2007: “Pictures of Asia Fine Art Auction” by Larasati, Singapore.
- 2011: Group Exhibition at Apricot Gallery, London, UK
- 2013: Group exhibition of Vietnamese and Korean artists in Hanoi