Nguyen Minh Phuoc
Born in 1973 in Hanoi, Nguyen Minh Phuoc graduated from the Hanoi Fine Art Institute in 1997. Inspired by his travels to Buddhist cultures, Phuoc depicts the devotion and discipline of Buddhist monks in a very appealing artistic style.
Fine intricate details on the monks and their robes and attires contrast beautifully with the hazy brushed over textures in the background. This tends to put the monks into focus as well as their journeys for the search of fulfillment.
The paintings are serene and very beautiful and exude warmth and a sense and a sense of respect and understanding of the monks’ lives as well as the artist’s journey into the search of higher stages of life.
The artist Nguyen Minh Phuoc is recognized in Vietnam as one of the more promising contemporary artists gaining international attention. He has both managed to work in a genre that speaks to an inherently Vietnamese culture as well as more contemporary avant garde performance and art pieces. He has exhibited nationally, within Asia, in Australia, in Switzerland, Italy, Germany and the US (including in New York and California).
Here, Modern Art Etc presents pieces obtained exclusively – direct from the artist himself. The artists lives and work in Vietnam.
These contemporary paintings showing the backs of Buddhist monks reflect a sense of observation and contemplation – the artist’s observation of the monks’ simple, gentle and peaceful way of life.
1997 : Hanoi Fine Art University, Hanoi, Vietnam. B.F.A.
2005 : Independent Creative Art Spaces Leadership Training in Paris, France
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITION
- 2014 : 15th Anniversary NhaSan studio, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2013 : Thailand-Vietnam Art exchange in Phitsanulok, Thailand and National Art Museum, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2012: The 7th Asia Pacific Triennial of contemporary Art( APT7), Brisbane,Australia
- 2012: The 1st Ecorea Jeonbuk Biennale, Int’l Beukam Art Museum, Korea
- 2012: Java spices, International Visual Art Exhibition, Jogia National Museum, Indonesia
- 2011 : Asian art link, Manila, Philippines
- 2010 : Kuandu Biennale, Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Taipei National University of the Arts, Taiwan
- 2010 :“No Soul For Sale” at TATE Modern museum, London, England
- 2010 :“Vietnam Art Scene” in IFA institute in Berlin & Sttugard, Germany
- 2009 : “ Limdim” in DSV and Stenersen museum,Oslo, Norway
- 2009 : “ Vietnam art insight” in IFA galleryShanghai, China
- 2008 : “No title” Performance art, RYLLEGABerlin, Germany
- 2008 : “Rose and Chicken “ Performance art, Nhasan,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2007 : Bridge of Art, Promotion for Art gallery,Zurich, Switzerland
- 2007 : “ Croped “ SLOT gallery, 38 Botany Rd, Alexandria,NSW, Australia
- 2006 :Exchange Artists program with Jeyum _ Art & Culture Institute,Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- 2006 :Performance workshop, SOC, HCM,Vietnam
- 2005 : Out of Context, Huntington Beach Art Center,California, USA
- 2004 : Lim dim, International performance workshop,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2003 :Williamburg Bridge – Vietnam Now, WAH Center,New York, USA
- 2003 :Green, Red & Yellow, Goethe Institute,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2003 :Legend Soup, Hanoi Opera House,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2003 :Room – Zoom, Nha San Studio,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2003 :Limited, Performance workshop at Goethe Institute,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2002 :Asian to window, Contemporary Art Center,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2002 :Together, Nha San Studio,Hanoi ,Vietnam
- 2002 :Residence at Vermont Studio Center,Vermont, USA
- 2002 :Residence ( collaboration with Tran Luong ) in Cevitella Ranieri, Castle, Umbertide,PG, ITALY
- 2001 :Magic Garden, Nha San Studio,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2001 :Figures, Contemporary Art Center,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2001 :Transporting, Contemporary Art Center,Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2000 : Vietnam National exhibition of Art, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 1999 : Asian Art Award , Vietnam Fine Art Museum, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 1998 : Tay Nguyen Impression, Zhang Zhou, China
- 1997 : Asian Art Award, Hanoi Fine Art University, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2007 : Unhappy Dragon, Ryllega gallery, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2005 : Patch wings up, Gallery Nord, Berlin, Germany
- 2004 : The Circle, Ryllega gallery, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2003 : Untitled, Genkan gallery, Tokyo American club, Japan
- 2002 : My Inconsistency, private studio, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 2000 : Go west, Nha San studio, Hanoi, Vietnam